Fit Notes

You should get a fit note from the doctor who is treating you.  This will usually be the GP, but if you are getting treatment in hospital and you don’t already have a fit note, you should ask for one from your hospital doctor.

The Doctor can only give you a fit note if your health affects your fitness for work. The fit note is your property and you should keep it – your employer can take a copy if they want one for their records.

If you are fit for work, you do not need a fit note. You also do not need one if you are off sick for 7 calendar days or less, because you can self-certify your absence for this time. You can complete and print a self cert using the link at the bottom of this page.

Fit notes at the practice are produced using e-MED3 which can only be printed and signed by the Doctor. Duplicate fit notes can only be issued if the original has been lost, again these can only be produced by the doctor.

Please note that a fit note is classed as advice from the doctor. Your employer can decide whether or not to accept it, if this is the case, the GP cannot get involved in any disputes between you and your employer.

Continuation fit notes can be requested online using PATCHS.

Self Certification Fit Note fit note  (Links to Government website)

We are not responsible for links, please UK Gov website for further information.

For further information about fit notes, you can access a government leaflet here.